Shepherds will be consistently tempted to react to the challenges they face, but good shepherding is built on pre-determined attitudes and perspectives:
- She has the missionary’s best interests at heart (not her reputation or comfort).
- He assumes the best whenever possible.
- She would rather be harmed than inflict harm.
- He listens at least twice as much as he speaks.
- She refuses to give up hope or give in to despair.
- He patiently endures the rigors of his task.
- She keeps every confidence.
- He resists the urge to take shortcuts.
A good shepherd of global workers is pro-missionary, whose care is love-based.